Frequently Asked Questions

You must make a 4.0 or higher on your EIPA and pass the EIPA written exam or an RID approved ethics or written knowledge exam to qualify for a License. If you scored 3.0-3.9 on your EIPA and you have passed the EIPA written exam or an RID approved ethics or written knowledge exam, you may apply for a Renewable Permit in AL. (see below for additional requirements).

The required items are below, but remember, you can apply online or print forms from the Forms page of our website.

Application for Licensure
Copy of current RID Certified membership card
Copy of one of these: GED, high school diploma, college diploma, certified college transcripts
Proof of Citizenship Form and a copy of one of documents listed on the form
Documentation of EIPA 4.0 or higher

Application for Permit
Documentation of passing either of the following:
o RID approved ethics or written knowledge exam
o EIPA Written Test
Documentation of passing one of the following approved performance assessment tests:
o Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) Levels 3.0 to 3.9
o Kansas Quality Assessment (KSQA) Level 4 or higher
o Virginia Quality Assurance Screening (VQAS) Level 3 or higher
o BEI Level 3 and above
o Any other performance assessment test approved by the Board.
o Copy of one of these: GED, high school diploma, college diploma or certified college transcripts
o Proof of Citizenship Form and a copy of one of documents listed on the form and $175.

Non-Renewable Permit:
Application for the Non-Renewable Permit
Three letters of recommendation from Board approved Licensed/Certified Interpreters attesting to skill level of applicant
Copy of one of these: GED, high school diploma, college diploma, certified college transcripts
Proof of Citizenship Form and a copy of one of documents listed on the form.

Non-renewable permits are valid only for one year from issuance.

If you provide any interpreting for remuneration, you must have a license or permit regardless of your job title or main responsibilities. This applies to every situation/agency (i.e. legal, medical, educational, etc.).

Yes, please read the list of exemptions located in our Rules § 34-16-7. Exemptions.

Persons interested should write a letter to the Board asking for an exemption and the reasons why you think you qualify for one. Your request will be reviewed by the Board at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting. Remember, you cannot work as an interpreter until the Board approves your request. The Board will also determine, on a case by case basis, how long your exemption is effective.

§ 34-16-7. Exemptions. Any person who lives outside of the State of Alabama may provide interpreting and transliterating services for up to 14 working days per calendar year without a license.

Persons who are Deaf must comply with the Law by submitting documentation listed under the requirements for either a Permit or License. The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf and the BEI both offer testing for people who are Deaf.

Yes. Volunteered interpreting while in your regular employment capacity is not considered volunteering — that is considered interpreting for remuneration.

Persons practicing interpreting or transliterating without a license may be subject to discipline by the Board. § 34-16-13. Violations; penalties. After January 1, 1999, any person who undertakes or attempts to undertake the practice of interpreting or transliterating for remuneration among consumers without first having procured a valid license or permit, or who knowingly presents or files false information with the board for the purpose of obtaining a license or permit, or who violates this chapter shall be guilty of a Class C misdemeanor.

Yes, at last count 22 states already have legislation and 12 more states are considering new legislation or modifying existing legislation.

For hearing and deaf consumers throughout the state of Alabama, it allows a mechanism to ensure quality services are provided. This protects both the hiring agency and the deaf individual. For interpreters, one advantage is that certification presents a "true measure of professionalism."

Everyone in need of interpreter services is entitled to qualified interpreters who will render the message faithfully and adhere to a Code of Professional Conduct. Without a regulatory system in place, like Licensure to assure the qualifications of an interpreting service provider, anyone can make the claim that they are qualified. Licensure documents a person’s qualifications and experience in the field of interpreting.

If you suspect someone is interpreting without a valid license or permit, or someone is violating the law or RID Code of Ethics, you should file a written complaint. The Complaint forms are located on the Forms page of our website: We will notify you once your complaint is received and the allegation will be investigated.

Go to the Forms page of our website and print off the “Change of Information” form; complete it and send it in either via US mail or you can scan and email it. It can take care of name and address changes, employer changes and education updates. A reminder: if you want a new card because of your name change or if you want to add additional credentials, go to the Forms page of the website and print a Replacement Card Request form.

If you failed to renew your license or permit, you may be reinstated if you are in compliance with all other relevant requirements and you submit a renewal form, late penalty and reinstatement fee.

You can start renewing online on February 15. Paper forms are also available on our website to print and complete. The last day to renew without penalty is March 15, but you can still renew until April 29 if you pay the renewal fee, the late fee and a reinstatement fee. After April 29, you’ll need to reapply for a new license or permit.

For Licensees: If you are audited, send in a copy of your current RID Certified membership card and a copy of your CMP transcript showing 2.0 CEUs earned since March 15 of the previous year.
For Permit holders: If you are audited, send in certificates of attendance of attending workshops earning 2 CEUs since March 15 of the previous year.

Complete and send in, along with $25, the Replacement Request form located on the Forms page of our website.

For Licensees: Proof of earning 2.0 CEUs within the last 12-month cycle or proof of adhering to the RID CMP (Certificate Maintenance Program) by including a copy of your most recent CMP/ACET (Associate CE Tracking) record obtained from RID. The RID CMP requires a total of 8 CEUs earned within their 4-year cycle, so you can earn as little or as many hours as you want during that time, IF you can show that 8 CEUs were earned by the end of their cycle. That schedule is satisfactory to maintain ALBIT Licensees as well.
For Renewable Permit holders: Each year, you need to send in proof of earning 2.0 board approved CEUs within the previous 12-month cycle ending March 15 of the current year.

Permit holders are required to show 2.0 CEUs each renewal cycle and are not allowed to use any CEUs that are carried over from the previous year.

Approval of CEUs will be automatically granted for all workshops endorsed by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) or Gallaudet University. Professional Studies must consist of at least 1.5 out of the required 2 CEU’s per year. No more than 1.5 CEUs relating to Professional Studies may be earned through RID-approved independent study.

You should speak at your natural pace, but be aware that the interpreter must hear and understand a complete thought before signing it. The interpreter will let you know if you should repeat or slow down. Also, taking turns in an interpreted conversation may be different from what you are used to. This is due to the slight time delay required for the interpretation process.

Look at and speak directly to the deaf person. Do not say “tell her” or “tell him.” The deaf person will be watching the interpreter and glancing back and forth at you.

Usually it is best to position the interpreter next to you (the hearing person), opposite the deaf person. This makes it easy for the deaf person to see you and the interpreter in one line of vision.

Semicircles or circular arrangements are best for discussion formats. For large group situations such as conferences or performances, be sure to reserve a “deaf participants and their friends” seating area near the front for clear visibility of the interpreter.

Meeting with the interpreter fifteen to thirty minutes before the assignment begins is helpful. It is especially helpful at large conferences or meetings where a fair amount of participants are expected. If possible, in advance of the assignment, provide the interpreter with materials such as a brief outline, agenda, prepared speeches, or technical vocabulary, and background information on activities such as showing film, role playing, and meditation exercises.

Visual aids such as copies of handouts or writing on a chalkboard can be tremendous help to both the interpreter and the deaf person, insuring correct spelling of technical terminology or names. Remember to pause before giving your explanation of the visual aid so the deaf person has time to see it, look back at the interpreter and still “see” everything you said.


Certification of Emergency Rule re Temporary CE Acceptance